Sunday, October 7, 2012

Story #22

Yesterday was the first time I've been able to really work on cleaning and de-cluttering my room!  I'm so excited!  By the end of the day I could barely walk so I did some of the stretches and exercises taught by the physical therapist.  This is a great accomplishment because up to now it hurt to sit and it hurt to stand, much less do housework.  I used to have to stop whatever I was doing after 10-15 minutes, stretch or rest, then return to the task.  I took breaks yesterday but not so many and was very successful in my efforts.  I am healing and truly grateful.  I can s-m-i-l-e.  Whoopie!

As I look to my recovery strengthening, growing in depth, kindness, and peace I grow in acceptance in working the 12 Steps program.  My willingness to be quick to see where others are "right" or at least have a point of view is expanding.  Yeah! Anyway, I found this Zen blogspot which is pretty neat, interesting.  http://101-zen-stories.blogspot.com/  This is story #22.



MY HEART BURNS LIKE FIRE

Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come to America, said: "My heart burns like fire but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes." He made the following rules which he practiced every day of his life.
  • In the morning before dressing, light incense and meditate.

  • Retire at a regular hour.

  • Partake of food at regular intervals. Eat with moderation and never to the point of satisfaction.

  • Receive a guest with the same attitude you have when alone. When alone, maintain the same attitude you have in receiving guests.

  • Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practice it.

  • When an opportunity comes do not let it pass you by, yet always think twice before acting.

  • Do not regret the past. Look to the future.

  • Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the loving heart of a child.

  • Upon retiring, sleep as if you had entered your last sleep. Upon awakening, leave your bed behind you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes.






No comments: