Friday, March 15, 2013

Slogan Power

Today what kept showing up in reading this morning's recovery literature was the importance of the slogans.  It is true it takes a while to learn and apply the Steps in all my relationships but the slogans are easy to learn and remember to apply.  I regard the slogans as spiritual tools I can use on the fly.

The Steps are more like power tools, like electric drills, saws, air compressors (for those who are mechanics or wood-craftspeople, etc.) compared to a handheld screwdriver, saw, etc.  Or a sewing machine compared to using a hand needle.  Or like using an electric mixer vs a hand mixer. The job can get done but not as efficiently, powerfully or large scale.

The slogans work.  Quick, concise and effective.  I'll whip out "Let it begin with me" which is another way to say...keep the focus on me.  Or "Live and Let Live", "KISS"...Keep It Simple, Sweetheart, etc.
Apparently I'm one of those that needs every trick in the bag, every tool at my disposal, every tip, and most especially to remember the "GOD idea works" (mentioned in "Daily Reflections" today).

In early sobriety I experienced the Serenity Prayer like a lifesaver.  I found myself saying it over and over and over.  The slogans are like that too in that they help me keep on track.  It takes what it takes.

Dear Higher Power that is Large and In Charge, thank YOU for this precious moment.  Thank YOU for YOUR love, support, guidance, protection and power as I go forth in this day.  Lord, may I be of service to YOU and YOUR creation.  As YOU Will.  Just for today.  Love, Carol xoxox

No comments: