Sunday, June 16, 2013

Self-care: Loving Detachment and Meditation

As I read the literature in the morning, I mark the places that resonate.  This way I can refer to those pages when needed.  I also collect them like gold or silver.  These are the nuggets of wisdom I find that help me so much.  I write them down on the blog to share them with you and also so I can refer to them.  This seems to help and I'm one of those who can use all the help available...lol

Courage to Change, p.168, "...need to let others experience the consequences of their actions...have to hit "bottom" and become uncomfortable with their own behavior before they can effectively do something about it...learn to get out of the way of this bottom...learn to detach with love...I may have the best of intentions, but if I take over other people's responsibilities, I may rob them of the chance to accomplish something and to feel good about what they've done.  Although I am trying to help, my actions may be communicating a lack of respect for my loved one's abilities.  When I detach with love, I offer support by freeing those I care about to experience both their own satisfactions and disappointments.
     "I am learning the difference between help and interference.  Today I will examine the way I offer support."  A quote from Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism, "Detachment did not mean disinterest...I considered detachment 'respect for another's personhood'."

One Day at a Time in Al-Anon, p.169, a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, "There is guidance for each of us, and by lowly listening, we shall hear the right word.  Certainly there is a right for you that needs no choice on your part.  Place yourself in the middle of the stream of power and wisdom which flows into your life.  Then, without effort, you are impelled to truth and to perfect contentment."

Daily Reflections, p.176, "To us, the realm of the spirit is broad, roomy, all inclusive, never exclusive or forbidding to those who earnestly seek.  It is open, we believe, to all..." a quote from As Bill Sees It, p.7

As We Understood, p.218, "It is quiet and I expect a few moments of uninterrupted solitude.  I try to relax my body completely and "empty" my mind.  I close my eyes and try to shut out thoughts, words, external sensations and consciousness of time.  This takes practice and I'm not always able to do it, but when I achieve that feeling of being one with all that is around me, I feel good and whole and at peace. ..It may only take five minutes, but I find that it makes me look at the world differently when I do it.  When I "come back to the world," I am refreshed, drained of all negative emotions and filled with calm acceptance."

Dear Precious Lord GOD Almighty Creator, YOU the One.  Love Carol xoxox

No comments: