Thursday, June 27, 2013

When in Doubt...

When I learned to play chess many years ago (which, by the way, I never was really any good at it because I have the attention span of a two-year old.  Also, it's important to want to beat, compete, win at that game.  My boss insists I'm ADD.  Probably right.)  Anyway, I remember being told, "When in doubt, move a pawn."

In the 12 Steps I've learned, "When in doubt...pause."

Last night at the shelter, the tension, anxiety, was very high.  It seemed like waves of negativity permeated the atmosphere.  I started feeling angry, frustrated, a bit overwhelmed.  Finally, I pushed away from the desk,  placed both feet on the ground instead of crossing one over the other, and rested my hands on the armrests.  I r-e-l-a-x-e-d.  Closed my eyes.  And started talking to my Higher Power. In a quiet voice I said, "You know, I just don't know what to do.  I need YOU to help me.  Please show me the way, help me..." and I just sat there, quiet, until the feelings subsided.  Went back to work.   About 5 minutes later, a co-worker called and informed me about things I needed to know.  She is also a minister of faith and I experienced her as if a breath of fresh air blew through...lovely.

"The spiritual life is not a theory.", indeed.

Of course, I went to Anonpress.org and searched the Big Book for the word "doubt".  My favorite again is "...test my thinking by the new God-consciousness within. Common sense would thus become uncommon sense. I was to sit quietly when in doubt, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as He would have me. Never was I to pray for myself, except as my requests bore on my usefulness to others." 

"The spiritual life is not a theory.", indeed.

"...either God is everything or else He is nothing."

"The spiritual life is not a theory.", indeed.

Dear GOD Almighty Creator, YOU are.  Thank YOU for the gifts YOU bestow on us to live Life, love Love and enjoy Happiness.  YOU the One!  Love, Carol xoxox


No comments: